Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Everyone Likes A Fresh Start

I've never been one who went to New Year's Eve parties even when I didn't have kids and I could have gone I didn't really.  I have never bought hats, noise makers, snacks, and bottles of non-alcoholic bubbly stuff to ring in the new year.  I am usually celebrating the new year with the folks in Paris, so I can go to bed when the rest of the United States is celebrating, haha!  Really I never understood what the big hoopla is all about...so it's a new year what's the big celebration?  But as I thought about it this year I realized the big hoopla all boils down to the simple fact that everyone likes a fresh start and when better to start something new than at the beginning of a new year.

HAHAHA! So true!!
Always the optimist I can understand the allure of a nice, clean, fresh start.  There is a new year stretching out in front of us all, no mistakes made, no mishaps, no damage done, just possibilities- beautiful, hopeful, lovely possibilities.  Realistically we all know we are going to make mistakes, hurts are going happen, learning has to be done (often learning isn't comfortable), and growth achieved (again not always comfortable) but in the twinkling of a sparkler and with the excitement of a countdown and a ball drop those uncomfortable circumstances are far from our thoughts.  But on January 1st there they are, looking us straight in the face, the new year asking us all, "So...what are you going to do with me?"  I tend not to answer the new year:), maybe that is why I haven't ever celebrated its coming very often.  My personality tends to be about the right now, get through today, this week, this month...I have to work really hard for short term goals and long term ones are excruciating!  I don't like resolutions because inevitably I disappoint myself when I make them so I don't make them.  I don't think resolutions are where its at truly...I think vision is what we need to be planning for...His vision for our lives.


My Aunt and Uncle make yearly goals, they are led by the scripture in Luke 2:52 which says, "And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men."  They make goals for their minds, for their bodies, for their spiritual lives, and for the relationships in their lives.  So I branched out this year and decided to make some goals too, to gain some vision in my life.  The Word of God instructs us in Habakkuk 2:2 to "Write the vision and make it plain on tablets, that he may run who reads it."  While I don't have a tablet to inscribe on...the principle is still the same...write down the vision God has for me this year so that when I read it I can run with it!


This year is only 10 days old but all that God desires to do in and through our lives this year has been planned and ordained before the foundations of the Earth.  When God, the Holy Spirit, and Jesus were discussing the plans for the world and divinely orchestrating our lives into those plans, 2012 and our part in 2012 was constructed.  So while we are all excited about a brand new year, God is all excited that we have  gotten to this part of His amazing plan for our lives.  Nothing is more exciting than living the life we were born to live!  Nothing is more fulfilling than being where we are supposed to be, doing what we are supposed to do, with the people we are supposed to do it with; it is exciting for us and extraordinary for the Lord!  Now all our lives aren't always in this perfect state but part of knowing our vision is to be working toward living the abundant life Jesus came to give us everyday.

In church on Saturday we sang a worship song that my family and I just loved!  It is Moving Forward by Free Chapel.  Here is a link to the song sung by Israel Houghton, http://youtu.be/eQBjXG2B-_I, if you want to take a listen.  We are moving forward, into a brand new year, fresh possibilities, renewed vision, and clear purpose.  I pray we fulfill His best for our lives this year, we won't miss the mark if we are living to serve Him to the utmost.  2012 is going to be an incredible year...we aren't promised an easy walk with Christ but we are promised His grace, His favor, His mercy, His peace, His ability, His sufficiency, His anointing, His love, His joy, His self-control, His healing, His patience, and His goodness each and everyday of our walk.  Let's get moving...forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment